Last week we FINALLY manned up and took a flight up north to see my in-laws. We travelled lots when we had just one kid but since Sophie was born we kind of took a while to gather the courage. It wasn’t bad at all. I packed all 4 of us into 1 suitcase for a 5-day trip. I mean that deserves an award or a standing ovation or something!!!!
The trick to making travelling with kids easier is, as counter-intuitive as it seems, pack LIGHT. Especially for the plane ride. The more free hands you have the EASIER it is.
Here is what was in my carry-on for this trip:
- Umbrella stroller: big strollers are nice for every day but you need a stroller that’s portable, easy to collapse and maneuver. Our Maclaren is our best friend.
- Ergo 360 Carrier: love that you can face in and out in this one.
- Diaper bag:
- 1 swaddle: Our favourite is Little Unicorn Official swaddles, the designs are just so beautiful
- 1 blanket: Once again Little Unicorn Official blankets are just way too soft
- 4 diapers per baby
- Sweater: it’s either too hot or too cold on the plane so layers are nice
- Spare onesie: Just because kids are messaayyy
- Cereal (don’t forget the spoon): I usually pack a small ziplock bag and mix it in a cup of hot water on the plane
- Colouring book: Melissa and Doug has the best water colouring book, no mess and once the page dries you can reuse it
- Teether: Innobaby Teether has been a favourite for both my girlies. It’s just the right size for their tiny hands and they love chewing on it
- Small pocket book: Open the Barn Door is the biggest hit. It’s so tiny that it takes up NO space
- Extra pacifier
- iPad (for cartoons when all else fails)
- Sippy cup: LollaCup is our favorite
- Variety of snacks: I find food is by far the best entertainment
One kid in the stroller, one in the carrier, and a diaper bag is ALL we had and it worked fantastic!!!