Well, not all of it, come on, who has babies and remains sane? If that’s you, maybe you were just crazy to begin with 😛
Here are a few tricks that I have up my sleeve to make it through life with my two crazies.
1. Have a routine: Before we had kids we were NOT, in any way, routine people. We didn’t have a set time for lunch or dinner, we didn’t go to sleep at the same time each day, we didn’t travel to the same destinations and our jobs were not Monday to Friday. We liked all things different and unpredictable, we were king and queen of changing things up. The moment that first baby came into the world I became a routine NAZI. My kids eat, sleep, play, and sometimes yes, poop on a schedule. It makes life so much easier when you know what to expect.
2. Bedtime: The previous point brings me to my second point, have a set bedtime. No matter how crazy your kids are at a given moment you know that in X amount of hours you get to shut it down.
3. With all that said, what works even better is having bedtime for your kids a few hours before you usually go to bed yourself. God knows we all need time to think grown up thoughts and have a conversation that doesn’t involve finding the reason for every “why” on the planet.
4. When your kids go to bed, do yourself a BIG favour and pour yourself a glass of nice cold refreshing wine, and make it a big FULL glass!! Don’t be afraid to go for seconds either.
5. Sleep Train: There are a million different methods out there, find one that you’re okay with or try them all, so you can have that second glass of wine and not feel guilty about it. Because sleep is SACRED and we are all better people when we are well rested.
6. Spend your money on whatever makes your life easier, because kids are hard. If you find yourself wondering if a certain product is worth it, get in your car and GET IT or better yet ‘Amazon Prime’ it. Try it out and if it works BINGO. If it doesn’t work you can always return it, or resell it. It’s better than sitting there and wondering what if?
7. Be selfish and don’t do anything you don’t want to. You have somewhere where you have to be but you are dead tired and your kids are fifty shades of crazy? Well then you don’t have to be anywhere and anyone who’s going to hold that against you obviously never had babies.
I’ll be having that second glass of wine tonight because my little baby is teething and nap time has been put on hold.